Thursday, October 1, 2009

An update on sleep


When I last wrote on this blog, I was saying that I was going to wait till Gary goes away to do the 'sleep training' with Tara. Hmmm, obviously just writing about it gave me the incentive I needed - I didn't wait and I did get through it. I am happy to report that our darling daughter is one of the 80% mentioned in the book that will sleep through the night after 3 nights. The first night was hard - the second a bit easier and the 3rd, she only cried for around 10 minutes if that. Since then, she has slept through from 7 or 7:30 till around 5 or 6. Then she has a feed and then generally goes back down for an hour or so. It is bliss! Compared to waking 3 times a night, I am so much happier with how things are going now. This morning we made it till 5:55!

Life here is going pretty well. I think things do take a while to sort themselves out. I still have days when I am homesick but in general, I am feeling much more positive on most days.

My life is going to change dramatically this weekend. This weekend, we have a live in domestic worker starting with us. Anelen is from the Philipines and has worked as a domestic helper here in Singapore for the past 5 years. She seems very nice. I have had loads of advice from people here who have had helpers and I have heard a number of horror stories. Despite all of this, I feel really positive. Anelen is 49 - her birthday is actually next weekend so she will be 50 then (we are giving her her birthday weekend off!) So, she is much older than a lot of the helpers (you can actually only get a work permit if the maid is under 50 so we just scraped in!) She seems very level headed - good with the children but not over the top (1 girl we interviewed just was all over Tara but I wasn't comfortable). She'll be helping out a lot with general household tasks and babysitting mainly when the kids are in bed and sleeping - Gary and I can go on dates again!! I am a little nervous - having a new person living under our roof but also excited. I really think my life is going to change immensely. The really hard times at the moment are meal times (trying to manage both kids- what a mess!) Even if Gary is not working late, he will get home at 6:45 and this helps with the going to bed routine but it's the time before this that I really struggle with - so this will be a real help with Anelen starting. Fingers crossed it will go well but I am feeling good about it.

Gary is at work tonight for month end. Thankfully this month end has a weekend in it - he is crazy busy for 4 days generally and the last one was right around our moving time!! But this one is better - 2 days then a weekend and then the final 2 days. I have been doing some admin work here at home, feeling rather productive really.

Saturday night is mid-autumn festival night. We are heading off to a lantern festival - I will try to take photos! (and eat moon-cakes).

Well, given the time, I think I'd better hit the sack. Till next time......



This was our Sunday morning walk to Ikea....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo - great to hear Tara is sleeping better - what a big difference that will make! And having Anelen will make a huge difference too - it'll be all change in the Leydon household!

    Aileen's work permit was approved today so we have to get our fingers out and do the rest of the paperwork.

    We're off to a Lantern Festival here in Ang Mo Kio on Saturday night. Have fun at yours and see you soon.

    Catherine
    x

    ReplyDelete