Sunday, July 26, 2009

One week in Singapore

Well, here we are - we have been here just over a week and we are feeling reasonably settled. I do think things are going to be good for us here. Alex and Tara have both settled in really well - in fact I was telling Alex before he went to bed last night that Sunday mornings are for sleeping in, we were saying that when he wakes up, he should consider it's Sunday and roll over and go back to sleep. Well he did, and he woke up at 7:50. Woo hoo - fantastic!! Tara is doing pretty well, still most nights only waking once, which is tremendous progress compared to how things were in Adelaide.

I had a night out last night with some girlfriends - there were 4 of us - a Singaporean, an American, a German and me. What amazes me is that the conversation is still the same as a girl's night out in Adelaide - just different city and different nationalities! We went to a bar on Orchard Road. Wow, the whole place was so busy. I can't get over how many people were out. When I left the bar at 10:30 to find a taxi, walking down Orchard Road I was moving quicker than the traffic. It was fun to go out and the babies were very well behaved for Daddy so that was good news too.

On Friday night, I cooked for what seems like the first time in ages. With the last couple of months being taken up by moving etc, my cooking has extended to using things from the freezer, cooking some pasta etc. So, Friday night was a mushroom risotto. It was pretty good and we both enjoyed it. It will be good to get into our own place and I will be able to do some more cooking.

It has been lovely to have the weekend with Gary off work. We had a lovely relaxing day yesterday, going to the pool a couple of times (Tara even had a dip and enjoyed it!) Alex went for a couple of trips to the playground and generally enjoyed having Daddy time.

I found out that we have a public holiday coming up in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to that too.

Tara is starting to crawl pretty well now. Thankfully there are no stairs in our apartment so a little less treacherous than our house in Adelaide.

We have a good week planned. It's Alex's 2nd birthday on Wednesday. Hard to believe that it's 2 years already. In some ways, the time has flown by but in other ways it seems like forever (What was our life like before kids?) In any case, we are looking forward to his birthday. His present is an easel - it is in our sea shipment so he won't get it till we move to our permanent accommodation but I'm sure that will be fine with him. We will also take him to the zoo - he has been there once and loved it so I think he will enjoy this as a special treat for his birthday.

Must sign off as we are off to the local hawker centre for lunch. Hmmm, all the local delights - I'm loving it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo,

    So glad things are going so well for you and Gary. I can't believe Alex is 2 already. Then again I can't believe Daniel will be 18 next year.

    I hope Alex has a great birthday and enjoys his easel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The long weekend coming up is Singapore National Day (August 9) and we will be only 44 years of age!!

    It is a lovely weekend, full of events and fireworks etc etc ...

    take a walk down near The Espalnade and you will get a glimpse, or check out the following:

    http://www.etour-singapore.com/singapore-national-day.html

    http://www.visitsingapore.com/publish/stbportal/en/home.html

    Singapore has so much on all the time, it is a little difficult to keep up with it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete