Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sleep, glorious sleep

Well, here we are on day 5 in Singapore and I have got both babies in bed - yippee!! Fingers crossed for both of them having a good nap. It seems a little less humid here today as it has rained all morning so it's much more fresh.

Our first few days have been good, getting to know the place and exploring. I must say I still feel like I'm on holiday at the moment but I guess eventually that feeling will change - probably especially when we move into our permanent accommodation. We haven't started to look as yet but will probably do so in a week or so.

The one fantastic thing which has made my life so much better is that for the past 4 nights, Tara has only woken once. She has pretty consistently been a twice a night girl (as a minimum) and I have been concerned about how I was going to improve her sleep. But she seems to have settled down really well and is now going for much longer stretches. I feel so much better for the improved sleep. Who knows if this is the warmer weather, getting more solids, or just feeling that Mum & Dad are less stressed. However, it is not for me to second guess it - I will just accept it!

Gary and I are off out to dinner tonight. This will be the 3rd time in the past 7 months that we have gone out together. I am so looking forward to it. We have a babysitter coming in at 6:45 so she can meet the kids before they go to bed. Then we will head out to a restaurant - we don't have a booking but are thinking we will head to Clarke Quay and see what takes our fancy.

The kids and I are slowly getting into a bit of a Singapore routine. Alex goes a bit stir crazy in the morning when Tara is sleeping - I think he would like to get out a bit earlier but he is coping. On Monday morning, we went for a walk to find the NTUC supermarket. Alex was in danger of falling asleep in the pusher so I got him out to walk a bit and then thankfully outside the supermarket there was a playground so we played there for a while. On the way home, he stayed awake with our spotting of cement mixers, motor bikes, trucks, buses and taxis. On Monday afternoon, we went for a playdate to JP's house. It was lovely to meet some new people and chat whilst Alex ran around and had a play.

On Tuesday morning, we went to an inside kindergym type arrangement - it was very good at $5 for an hour. There is a gym next door in the shopping centre for kids, but you have to sign up for a 10 week term and it is $425 for the term. (This is for 1 hour once a week). Alex had fun at the Delta gym and it is nice and small - great for his age. I suspect we will go back there a bit. Met some more new people there as this was another event organised by the Singapore Active Toddler meetup group.

Today we don't have a lot on. We went to the playground downstairs (thankfully they have an indoor one so it's great for rainy days). This afternoon, I think we will venture into Orchard Road. There is a free shuttle bus from the shopping centre next door so we will see how we go - Alex with his monkey (a monkey backpack with a leash!) and Tara in the baby bjorn. Hopefully both kids will have slept well and be up for an adventure.....

2 comments:

  1. you are managing so well...... good on you!!!

    and it is nice to have these rainy days to settle the humid weather a bit.

    After 2.5 years here I still feel I am "on holiday", so maybe that feeling never leaves us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my name is Jenn Harkless. Leone sent me a link to your blog. I have a 2 yr old girl and we have been living in Singapore for 10 months. Where are you living? If you would like, perhaps we could get together sometime. Also a good way to get connected is through MOPS (Mothers of Preschools). We are having some get togethers over the summer before things start up again if you are interested. My email is Schmidty930@gmail.com Welcome to Singapore.

    ReplyDelete